Please fill out one of the online forms below prior to your first appointment to save you time in the office.

General Information

Basic information about you and specifics of your legal inquiry.

Criminal Information

Background information about you and your criminal case.

Family Information

Information about you and your family legal matter.

Personal Injury Info

Facts and information about your personal injury matter.

Divorce Information

Background information that is required to file for divorce.

Wills & Probate Info

Information to help determining your estate planning objectives.


Family Law Q&A

How long will my divorce take?

A divorce in Texas requires a 61 day waiting period from the date of filing.

How long must I have lived in Texas and in the County prior to filing?

You must have lived in Texas for at least a period of six months from the date of filing, and 90 days in the County that you are filing in.

What if my spouse is unwilling to sign divorce paperwork?

You can still move forward with the divorce, but you will need to have them served with process.  There are different methods that may be used to serve an uncooperative spouse, even in the event that you don’t know where your spouse is.

Will I need to appear in Court to finalize my divorce?

Yes, in most cases, whether your divorce is contested or uncontested, The Petitioner or Counterpetitioner will need to appear in court.

How much child support will my spouse have to pay?

In Texas, child support is calculated at 20% of the obligor’s net monthly income and goes up 5% for each child thereafter.

Criminal Law Q&A

My bond is $10,000.00, will I have to come up with the total bond amount to bail out of jail?

No, in most cases, you can use a bonding company and pay them a percentage of the total bond amount.  Usually, the amount is about 10%.

What is deferred adjudication?

Deferred adjudication is an excellent option in lieu of straight probation.  You will be placed on probation, but at successful completion of the probation period, you may petition the court to seal your record.  For misdemeanor cases, there is no waiting period to file a Petition for Nondisclosure, in felony cases, you will have to wait at least 5 years after you have completed probation.

My case was dismissed can I have get my record expunged?

In most cases you can petition the court to have your record expunged if your case was dismissed, you were acquitted, no-billed, successfully completed pretrial diversion, and/or pardoned.  However, waiting periods do apply.

Will I have to appear in court more than once to settle my case?

In most cases, your case will be set several times.  This allows for your attorney to investigate that facts, work on the case, and hopefully get you the best results.  It is best to be patient.

Can I represent myself in Court?

The law requires that you can elect to represent yourself in any case.  However, we highly recommend that you hire a professional to help fight your case for you.  Attorneys have the years of education, experience, and practice to handle the minute details that you may not be familiar with.

Juvenile Law Q&A

In Texas, at what age can you be tried as an adult?

A person can be tried as an adult at age 17, however, the prosecutor can request that a minor be tried as an adult.

Can a juvenile be tried as an adult for the same offense after they turn 17?

A juvenile cannot be adjudged a delinquent and held in custody as such, and then be indicted, tried, and convicted of the identical offense after they reach the age of 17.

As a juvenile will I be able to seal my record?

The Texas Family Code allows for the sealing of juvenile criminal records. A person with a juvenile record may be eligible to seal their record by filing an application at the juvenile court within the county where their juvenile offense occurred. Juvenile records that are sealed by the court are removed from the criminal history database.

My children are in CPS custody, how long can my case last?

If a lawsuit has been filed, your case can be on the court’s docket for a period of 12 months, and can be extended for another 6 months.

How long can a CPS caseworker take to complete their investigation of my case?

The caseworker should make every attempt to complete investigations within 30 days from the date the report was received by the agency. However, the supervisor can approve an extension.

Personal Injury Q&A

What if my claim is denied by the insurance company?

If your claim is denied, you should first receive a letter of denial explaining the reasons for the denial. You can then ask for a reconsideration of the denial.  In the event that the reconsideration affirms the denial, you should contact an attorney that can evaluate your claim and determine if filing suit is appropriate.

How much does your firm charge for a personal injury consultation fee?

At the Law Offices of James and Stagg, PLLC, our firm offers free consultations for personal injury cases.

How much can I recover from my loss?

The amount you recover depends on several factor.  The value of your claim can be affected by several factors such as, the medical care received, the extent of your injuries, and the facts regarding your case.  Feel free to contact our office so that we may evaluate your claim, and answer any questions that you may have.

I was just in an accident what should I do?

You should contact the local police department if you were in a major accident.  If you were in a minor accident, you should file a police report.  Be sure to exchange insurance information with the other driver, write down their driver’s license information, contact information, and information about their vehicle.  Take photos of the scene and obtain any witness statements and contact information.  File a claim with your insurance provider and the other driver’s insurance company.  Call the Law Offices of James and Stagg, PLLC.

I got into a wreck a few of months ago, is it too late for me and my case?

No, you have 2 years of the date of the incident to recover.